Environmental protection is integral to our company philosophy
As an environmentally friendly company, sustainable production processes, the responsible management of resources, and using environmentally friendly technologies have been an integral to our company philosophy and operational activities. At the same time, these premises form the basis for our claim to long-term quality leadership in products and services.
In our industry we are seen as a pioneer in environmentally friendly products and processes. As one of the steel industry’s leaders when it comes to quality, we strive to maintain an ecologically clean environment.
We are active advocates for ecological and targeted production, the responsible use of precious resources and an intact work environment. We take responsibility for our actions and are working with passion on our green future.
What distinguishes voestalpine as an environmentally friendly company
Core topics: We keep a close eye on the environment
We produce sustainably and environmentally friendly
Steel is nearly 100% recyclable and today is used virtually everywhere. It makes our lives more comfortable, more environmentally friendly, more mobile and safer. We carefully scrutinize every detail to optimize the use of precious resources during the production of steel. We draw on our power of innovation to provide the basis for modern energy and mobility concepts, and thus a better climate situation.
We provide facts about our success in environmental protection
For years we have been systematically employing measures to improve the environmental standards at the voestalpine Group with great success. At the Linz site, for instance, two-thirds of all waste and recyclables are fed back into the production process. Overall, the internal and external recycling rate is over 80%.
On our blog you can learn more about our environmentally friendly production process compared to competitors.
Together for the environment: How we achieve our goals
The following environmental principles are part of our daily operations; we are also committed to the environmental principles of the World Steel Association.
- Holistic responsibility for our products. voestalpine produces and develops products and system solutions in close collaboration with its customers and suppliers and takes ecological requirements, such as a long useful life, preservation of resources, and the best possible reusability and recyclability, into consideration.
- Optimization of production processes. In operating its plants and facilities, voestalpine applies state-of-the-art technology in an economically feasible way in order to minimize the environmental impact of its production sites. Efficient use of raw materials and energy is of primary importance to voestalpine.
- Establishment of environmental management systems. voestalpine facilitates the development of environmental management systems in its Group companies. The core of these management systems is compliance with environmental provisions and the maintenance of continuous improvement programs.
- Employee integration. voestalpine sees environmental protection and continuous improvement as the responsibility of each individual employee at all levels and in all business sectors. Responsible and expert employees ensure that technical facilities are operated at an optimum level and contribute to continuous improvement through environmentally aware behavior.
- Open and objective dialogue. As the basis for shared and sustainable solutions, voestalpine maintains an open and objective dialogue with internal and external interest groups regarding all environmental issues relevant to the Group. voestalpine particularly encourages a Group-wide exchange of knowledge among all the production sites.