voestalpine Precision Strip WI in Pleasant Priarie supplies precision strip steel with a wide variety of surface finishes. Our capabilities allow the end user to select from both a range of well-defined surface topographies (Ra) as well as from a range of "visually" different surfaces.
Surface Ra values are defined almost exclusively through the application of different cold rolling "recipes" as the strip is brought down from the hot-rolled condition to its final cold-rolled thickness. Both the annealing and the reduction steps themselves play key roles.
|Standard surface finish Ra values|
|Extra bright rolled||Ra < 5µin|
|Fine bright rolled||Ra < 10µin|
|Standard bright rolled||Ra < 10µin|
|Bright rolled||Ra 20 - 40µin|
Standard Surface Finishes
- Scaleless blue - a more or less uniform grey-blue color generated during the tempering process in a non-inert atmosphere
- Bright hardened - a more or less uniform bright surface generated during the tempering process in an inert-gas atmosphere
- Bright polished - a bright hardened surface subject to subsequent polishing for a more uniform, brighter surface appearance
- Blue polished - a bright polished surface subjected to subsequent thermal processing for a uniform blue finish.
- Gold polished - a bright polished surface subjected to subsequent thermal processing for a uniform gold finish.