A strong company in a strong division. Krems is one of many locations of voestalpine AG and the headquarters of the Metal Forming Division, which employs over 10,000 employees in over 40 countries spread across 4 continents.
Committed people have been producing steel solutions in Krems for more than 75 years. In addition to voestalpine Krems GmbH, the European market leader when it comes to the production of special pipes and profiles, voestalpine Krems Finaltechnik is the second important company at the location in Krems.
Turn-key solutions provided by voestalpine Krems Finaltechnik. As a consequence, extensive skills and expertise from one Group headquarters and one location are offered – from product development and manufacturing, to further processing, all the way to turn-key solutions, executed by voestalpine Krems Finaltechnik.
voestalpine Krems Finaltechnik GmbH is the specialist company at the location when it comes to high bay warehouses and road safety with guard-rail systems. It consolidates the expertise in these two business areas. This guarantees customers a maximum level of value. In the high bay warehouse business area, voestalpine Krems Finaltechnik is the global and globally successful partner; in the road safety business area the primary geographical focus is Europe.
voestalpine Krems Finaltechnik was founded in 1990 as an independent company and today employs over 200 employees in various professions as specialists for high bay warehouses, system racks and road safety. But the history of ore smelting and iron working in the Krems region begins much much earlier, and evidence exists that it has been practised here since the beginning of modern history.
500 years of ore smelting. As far back as 1525, a copper mill was operated in Wöllersdorf in the Südbahn region, which is around 80 kilometres from Krems. This copper mill can be regarded as the first root of the company that exists today.
From copper to iron. In 1711 the copper mill was taken over by Franz Schmid from Schmidsfelden and transferred to Wasendorf in Styria , where it was then transformed into a iron mill and a sheet-iron mill. In 1854 came the merger with the Hungarian Sheet Metal Union and the Johann Adolf smelting works in Paßhammer into Styria. Shortly thereafter, the foundry was absorbed by the company Rottenmanner Eisenwerke AG.
From sheet-metal production to sheet-metal processing. In 1939, Rottenmanner Eisenwerke AG chose Krems as the location for its thin-sheet rolling mill and surface refinement facility. In 1955, the plant came under the administration of VÖEST, which later developed into voestalpine AG and was then fully integrated into the company in 1963. Within a matter of just a few years, the restructuring from a sheet-metal production to sheet-metal processing took place.
A principal voestalpine AG location. Krems is today one of the most important locations of the global voestalpine Group and the headquarters of Metal Forming Division. The companies of the division connect material expertise in a unique way – the steel is produced just 100 kilometres upstream along the Danube in the voestalpine steel mill in Linz – and processing expertise, which is reflected in the guiding principles of the division: "Leading in metal forming with material expertise".