Sustainable voestalpine premium quality with reduced carbon footprint
Ten percent of the direct carbon emissions at the Linz site are avoided through processoptimized operation in the production of greentec steel. Using a balance model, these saved emissions are allocated to the flat steel products supplied by the voestalpine Steel Division.
The material and processing properties of the steel are not affected in any way by the carbonreduced production route. Each high-quality voestalpine steel strip product is available with its unique profile of benefits and a reduced carbon footprint.
- Reduced specific carbon footprint
Reduced Scope 3 emissions at the customer
Individually adjusted carbon footprint based on a verified balance model
Unchanged range of grades and dimensions in proven voestalpine premium quality.
No change in material and processing properties because the chemical analysis and mechanical profiles remain unchanged.
|greentec steel product*||Maximum carbon footprint [kg CO2e per kg of steel]**|
|Hot-rolled steel strip||2,10|
|Cold-rolled steel strip||2,15|
|Hot-dip galvanized steel strip||2,30|
|Electrogalvanized steel strip||2,40|
|isovac® – Semi-processed electrical steel||2,30|
|isovac® – Fully processed electrical steel||2,45|
|colofer® – organic-coated steel strip||2,40|
*All products, dimensions and steel grades listed in each voestalpine supply range are available as greentec steel edition.
**The carbon footprint is calculated pursuant to worldsteel CML 2001-2016 (system expansion) on a cradle-to-gate basis.
Verification of historical data
- Data and balance model validated by Lloyd’s Register based on EN-ISO 14064-2
- Consideration of direct emissions (Scope 1) and indirect emissions (Scope 2 and 3)
Method of calculation
Determination of carbon footprint (cradle to gate)
- Method pursuant to EN15804 A2, Environmental Product Declaration (EPD)
- Method pursuant to worldsteel CML 2001-2016
How is the carbon footprint reduced?
- Production optimized with respect to carbon emissions (blast furnace route)
- Utilization of green electricity purchased from third parties
Join us on our journey to a greener future!
Additional carbon savings achieved during the year can also be purchased.
Sustainability does not end in production
- Utilization of environmentally friendly transport modes and routes
- Sustainable and high-precision packaging