Today‘s voestalpine BWG group started with the production of turnouts in Dillingen/Saar under the name of Franz Meguin & Co. over a hundred years ago.
In 1920, the company moved to Butzbach, and since 1970, a successor company, the Butzbacher Weichenbau Gesellschaft, has been specializing in the design and production of turnouts and components. The development of innovative turnout systems – initially for the German Reichsbahn and then in close cooperation with today‘s Deutsche Bahn – securely positions voestalpine BWG as a worldwide leader in turnout technology.
Our production plants in Brandenburg and Gotha can also look back on a long history. Since 1920 the German Reichsbahn maintained a workshop for the production of turnouts in Brandenburg-Kirchmöser.
In 1976, the production of groovedrail turnouts started in Gotha.
After taking over 65% of the turnout plants in Brandenburg and Gotha in 1991, the Butzbacher Weichenbau Gesellschaft acquired the remaining shares from Deutsche Bahn in 1998.
That same year, the group became part of VAE, thus profiting not only from the synergies that accompanied the merger of the three German locations, but also from the strength that comes from being the leading supplier of turnouts worldwide.
In 2003, together with VAE, BWG was integrated into the Division Railway Systems of the publicly traded Austrian company voestalpine AG.
Since 2008 this has been reflected in the company name: voestalpine BWG.
Since 2012 the voestalpine BWG is part of the newly formed Metal Engineering Division of voestalpine AG.