Taming the steel
The voestalpine multi-plus: high-strength steel and an optimally tuned tool coating for economical cold forming
For more than 20 years, voestalpine has been a pioneer in the development of advanced high-strength and ultra-high-strength steels (ahss, UHSS) for the cold forming of crash components in lightweight automotive design. The company also focuses on the efficient production of these components. A strong example is Duplex-VARIANTIC®-1400, the new coating for forming tools. It increases service life by up to 460% in the forming of steels higher than 1,000 MPa. Customers can rely on the multi-plus of voestalpine and save money.
More than excellent steels
The customers of voestalpine have access to a comprehensive ahss portfolio that meets the specific requirements (yield strength, total elongation, resistance to edge cracking, suitability for bending and deep-drawing operations) of the component to be manufactured:
- ahss classic Property profiles for a wide variety of applications Dual-phase steel strengths of up to 1,000 MPa Complex-phase steel strengths up to 1,200 MPa
- ahss high-ductility (HD) Further development of advanced high-strength steels with properties in a balance never before achieved high-ductility dual-phase steels up to 1,180 MPa, high-ductility complex-phase steels up to 1,400 MPa tensile strength
Together we are unbeatable
The developments specialists at voestalpine Stahl GmbH and voestalpine eifeler have created a coating solution for forming tools that sets a new standard in quality and economy in the forming of high-end steels.
460% longer tool service life
Duplex-VARIANTIC®-1400 masters the high tensile strengths of ultra-high strength steels in a unique way. In comparison to other coating products, the innovative PVD coating increases the tool service life by up to 460% and significantly reduces wear. The quality of the workpiece is also increased during forming, punching and cutting because of the special structure of the coating and very good adhesion to the substrate. We recommend Caldie, a medium-alloyed tool steel made by Uddeholm.
Our high-ductility steels higher than 1,000 MPa combine high strength with good formability. They make it possible to cold-form high-strength components of demanding complexity. The innovative coating for the forming tools further increases production efficiency.
Christian Walch, Head of Application Technologies, voestalpine Stahl GmbH
The coordinated coating layers are the secret of Duplex-VARIANTIC®-1400. They make the PVD coating extremely resistant and are a premium solution in the forming of ultra-high-strength steels.
Dr. Farwah Nahif, Head of Research and Development, voestalpine eifeler Vacotec GmbH
- Up to 460% longer service life
- Excellent resistance to abrasive and adhesive wear
- Improved workpiece surface quality resulting from less adhesion and more effective forming of the workpiece
- Al (Cr, Ti) N-based PVD coating with specifically adapted adhesive and top coating
- Ideal for the cold forming of galvanized sheet of 1,400 MPa and higher
- Color: Gold