Innovative logistics concept for the direct reduction plant in Corpus Christi 2 minutes spent reading
Innovation

Innovative logistics concept for the direct reduction plant in Corpus Christi

Viktoria Steininger
Holds editorial responsibility for blog topics, is researching and writing articles. Her stories give insights into the world of the voestalpine Group.

The innovative logistics concept for the new site in Corpus Christi in Texas is based on circular hauls, which will significantly reduce the number of empty trips.

harbor corpus christi

The new plant has a direct deep water access to the Gulf of Mexico.

voestalpine is building a new direct reduction plant in Corpus Christi, Texas. The facilities are designed for an annual capacity of two million tons of HBI (hot briquetted iron) and have direct deep water access to the Gulf of Mexico. An innovative logistics concept will be developed for the new plant in order to optimize the transport of raw materials and the HBI produced here. The aim is to conserve resources and save costs. The round-trip concept at voestalpine in Texas is part of a holistic approach to optimizing logistics. It involves suppliers, production and customers.

Innovative logistics concept with round-trips

The new voestalpine logistics concept uses circular hauls to reduce empty trips and thus freight costs. Ore pellets and HBI will be transported on circular routes from the raw material sources to the end customer:

  1. Around 3 million tons of iron ore will be shipped from raw material sources to Corpus Christi each year.
  2. Afterwards the same ships will transport 110,000 tons of HBI (hot briquetted iron) on each journey to Rotterdam and Koper.
  3. From here, 800,000 tons of HBI will be transported by barge or train each year to the plants in Linz and Donawitz. Around 40% of this volume will be used for production in Linz and Donawitz. The remaining 60% will be sold to external customers worldwide.
  4. Where possible, this will be followed by reloading and return to the US.

Previously, every second journey was an empty trip. The new logistics concept will keep empty trips to a minimum. This reloading concept helps conserve both resources and the environment. Using HBI in the plants in Linz and Donawitz also makes steel production more efficient, and this has a positive impact on the voestalpine CO₂ balance.

More information:

 

Viktoria Steininger