alform® steels from voestalpine are high-strength and ultra-high-strength steels with excellent cold forming properties, superior toughness, very good weldability and offering extreme weight savings.
What are alform® steels?
alform® steels from voestalpine are hot-rolled, high-strength and ultra-high-strength TM steels with excellent welding properties and offering the highest levels of component reliability. The thermomechanical rolling process (TM rolling) results in a very tough fine-grained microstructure which simultaneously offers good strength and cold forming properties. Compared to commercial standard QT (quenched and tempered steel), TM rolled steels have significantly lower carbon content and a lower risk of cold cracking during welding.
What are the advantages of alform®?
Light-weight construction is becoming increasingly important in the mechanical engineering industry. Steels are needed which enable both lower material thicknesses and optimal processability. These demands are met by high-strength and ultra-high-strength alform® steels. These steels enable a reduction in material thickness and thus weight of up to 70 percent.
An overview of the key advantages:
- Cost reduction: costs can be significantly lowered by reductions in the quantities of steel and filler materials.
- Ideal for welding: thanks to its fine-grained microstructure (lower carbon content) the risk of cold cracking during welding is significantly reduced.
- Excellent cold forming properties: decisively improved forming behavior with more than twice the minimum yield strength compared to traditional construction steels.
- Excellent cutability: the low material thickness enables faster cutting rates. And due to minimal internal stresses, distortions during cutting are largely avoided.
- Perfect surface: thinner and more homogenous scale layer (oxide layer) compared to QT plates. This forms a “natural protective layer” against corrosion.
- Excellent toughness: the thermomechanical rolling combined with accelerated cooling results in a fine-grained microstructure and very good toughness.
What are alform® steels used for?
alform® steel is used where maximum strength is required:
- Mobile cranes
- Truck cranes
- Concrete pumps
- Utility vehicles
- Agricultural and forestry machinery
- Offshore platforms
- Pressure pipelines
In what form is it available?
More information about alform®:
alform® website: http://www.voestalpine.com/alform
Product brochure: High-strength and ultra-high-strength TM steels
New voestalpine corporate design
The voestalpine Group is marking the consistent implementation of its strategy and its changing self-image by updating its visual identity: its transformation from a European steel company to a global technology and capital goods group is now also being mirrored in its corporate design. The new visual identity combines tradition with future expectations, and increasingly symbolizes dynamism and a focus on the future.