Research and development
The Central Research and Development Department of the voestalpine Giesserei Group conducts extensive research at the Linz and Traisen locations. The department focuses on the development of new casting materials, e.g. high-temperature steels and special materials that are tough at subzero temperature for heavy machine construction as well as new processes, e.g. welding processes, smelting reduction, molding material techniques, etc., and their industrial implementation. Our activities have made it possible for us to fall back on extensive experience and expertise and promote development from the lab to final production, all supported by comprehensive numerical simulation.
We are currently performing research in the following materials:
- High-temperature applications in power stations
- Magnetic materials for medical technologies
- High-alloy and low-alloy steels for oil, gas and cryogenic applications
- Materials tough at subzero temperatures for compressor and offshore applications
- New spheroidal graphite grades for machinery
Many of our research projects are carried out in close cooperation with universities and research institutes. We utilize the expertise and innovative power of our sister companies in the voestalpine Group as well as that of the testing and lab structure in place in out parent company.