voestalpine Schienen GmbH will be presenting new rail steel grades, highly digitalized integrated system solutions, and a wide range of services on the joint voestalpine stand at InnoTrans 2016 in Berlin.
The leading international trade fair for transport technology opens its doors on September 20. The trade fair addresses segments in which voestalpine has been successfully active for decades, including the rail technology sector.
Heat-treated rails from the technology leader
As the key element in many railway systems, voestalpine heat-treated premium and super-premium rails manufactured using voestalpine’s own HSH® technology will again be the focus of interest for companies from all over the world. With their outstanding level of wear resistance they are best placed to meet the growing demands of rail transport.
voestalpine Schienen is responding to constantly increasing track loads in mixed and heavy-load transport with a new family of rails made from 400 UHC® HSH® steel. They feature
- a higher carbon content (UHC = ultra-high carbon) for a uniform microstructure able to withstand mechanical stresses over the long term;
- low levels of alloy components offering ecological advantages and excellent weldability, and
- low levels of noise pollution achieved by minimizing corrugation.
As a result, market leader voestalpine is continuing its successful strategy of providing customer benefits of hitherto unknown dimensions. 400 UHC® HSH® rails:
- halve required rail maintenance and double rail service life (compared to heat-treated rail steel grade R350HT), and
- offer a 6-fold improvement in performance over non-heat-treated standard grade R260.
In all, the 400 UHC® HSH® family stands out by offering the best track performance for all climate and transport conditions, and a further significant reduction in life cycle costs (LCC) due to their extended service life and vastly reduced maintenance requirements.
World premiere for the LCC tool
Determining life cycle costs (LLC) is a management necessity for long-term capital goods such as rails. voestalpine will be presenting an interactive LCC tool which will enjoy its world premiere at InnoTrans. It allows trade fair visitors to evaluate various procurement and maintenance strategies for mixed traffic and urban transport concepts, including tramway and subway systems.
With this tool voestalpine once again demonstrates its global leading expertise in the railway systems sector. Users are offered a variety of features for evaluating strategies:
- Costing the capital value;
- Annual interest calculations;
- Return of investment (compare alternatives);
- Carbon dioxide emissions, and
- Product recommendations.
CCW joining mission
With its Competence Center Welding (CCW) voestalpine is setting out on a special joining mission.
- CCW is: the innovation leader in the rail welding technology sector, translating its profound theoretical and practical know-how into customized and customer-specific solutions.
- CCW means: even safer, more economic and more effective rail welding.
- CCW is researching into existing and future rail welding technologies and developing welding technologies for customary and emerging steel types.
At InnoTrans 2016 CCW will be presenting its outstanding expertise in:
- Applied research into optimizing welding technologies;
- Welding training at the CCW and on site;
- Customer advice from initial tender through to final inspection;
- Consultations on flash butt welding.
"We are presenting new rail steel grades, highly digitalized integrated system solutions, and a wide range of services. At InnoTrans 2016 our customers will see the future of rail tracks which voestalpine is already making possible today."